After sitting out of the 1895 Cup and exciting the Challenge Cup at the first hurdle, it was of little surprise that Cornwall started the game sluggishly, with Keighley scoring four times in the opening 15 minutes.

But the Cougars grew into the game as it progressed.

Robson started the ball rolling for Keighley after just four minutes when he burst onto Jack Miller’s flat ball to score. Miller bagged the first of eight conversions, from ten attempts. 

Winger Billy Walkley was next in on the act when he snuck home in the corner, despite the attentions of Cornish winger Harry Aaronson.

During the early exchanges, Cornwall were the architects of their own downfall by getting on the wrong side of referee Sweet and a six-again resulted in Keighley’s third try.

Dan Parker went in near the posts and with the game nor even 15 minutes old, Cornwall then suffered a double blow.

Away skipper Adam Rusling suffered a nasty leg gash in the build-up to another Keighley try, with the former Hull Kingston Rovers man needing stiches and a trip to Airedale Hospital, before Ellis Robson scored his second.

Running the ball on the last, after two kicks through, the newly blonde dotted down. 

However, Cornwall dug in and scored next through winger George Mitchell as he picked up Cameron Brown’s kick, which bounced off a home defender, to score. Brown nailed a fine conversion from the side line to improve Cornwall’s tally.

And the Choughs saw Brown sent to the sin bin as Mr Sweet grew tired of repeat offences.

However, a clear demonstration of Cornwall’s improvement as the game progressed saw just one try, scored by Oscar Thomas, whilst Keighley had a numerical advantage. 

At the start of the second half, the Cougars put the game beyond Cornwall with three tries in quick succession as Adam Ryder got in on the act before Robson completed his first professional hat trick.

Pickersgill, who was always a threat, then chimed into the three-quarter line to score, but any threat of Keighley running riot was once again quelled by Cornwall.

It was Mike Abbott’s men who scored next with arguably the try of the game, as a wonderful flowing move was finished of acrobatically by Harry Aaronson, against one of his former clubs.

And then, for the final 20 minutes, Cornwall couldn’t add to their tally, with the Cougars having the final word as the outstanding Pickersgill scored under the sticks after the hosts chanced their arm, on the final play. 

Cornwall: Nichol, Aaronson, Simpson, Ashton, Mitchell, Brown, Rusling, Ross, Collins, Boots, Cullen, Weetman, Dimech. Interchange: (all used) Lloyd, Trerise, Bannister, O’Callaghan.

Tries: Mitchell (19), Aaronson (60)

Goals: Brown 2/2

Sin bin: Brown (29) – dissent

Keighley: Pickersgill, Ryder, Graham, Sa’u, Walkley, Thomas, Miller, Maher, Brown, Ioane, Robson, Lanskey, Parker. Interchange: (all used) Bishop, Kesik, Hatton, Schofield.

Tries: Robson (4,15, 50), Walkley (7), Parker (13), Thomas (32), Ryder (46), Pickersgill (53,80), Bishop (65), 

Goals: Miller 8/10

Referee: Andrew Sweet

Attendance: 971